Overall purpose of the appointment
Baxendale is an employee owned company.
The principal value of the business is held in Trust by and for the benefit of current and future employees – also known as Partners. The Trustees therefore have a critical role in supporting the overall success of the business. Trustees join half of all regular Board meetings and are expected to work alongside Partners and the Board to keep the business commercially successful, employee owned and with a thriving partnership culture.
Trustees are appointed under the terms of the Baxi Partnership Limited Trusts Act 2000. They represent the interests and views of Partners as a whole and hold the Board to account – discussing and influencing business choices and sharing the decision-making process around Partnership governance. Joining the Trust as an Independent Trustee will mean entering into a contract for services, not a contract of employment.
As an Independent Trustee you will be responsible for:
• Understanding, constructively challenging and supporting the development of Partnership policies and practices
• Positively contributing to the process of decision-making about Partnership governance
• Scrutinising and constructively challenging the performance of the Partnership Board in meeting agreed goals and objectives and reporting this information
• Soliciting the thoughts and views of Partners and representing these at all times – ensuring that their voice is effectively heard
• Upholding high standards of integrity and supporting the two elected Partner Trustees in nurturing partnership culture, values and behaviour in meetings and within the business generally
• Digesting all relevant information about the Partnership’s affairs as is reasonably necessary
• Making sufficient time available to discharge your responsibilities effectively (which each year will involve around four trustee meetings (two of which are with our Partnership Board), our Annual General Meeting and ad hoc meetings when required
• Being part of the Partnership’s remuneration committee
• Exercising your responsibilities in accordance with the Trust Deed and relevant policies and procedures
Trustee Person Specification
The successful candidate should have:
• Experience of, or empathy with, the principles of employee ownership
• Experience of making decisions at board level
• Experience of monitoring and evaluating performance in commercial organisations
• Ability to understand and scrutinise accounts
• Experience in areas which are of critical importance to the success and growth of the Partnership
• Understanding and acceptance of the duties and responsibilities of trusteeship • Commitment to the organisation and its objectives
• Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to fulfil their duties as a Trustee
• Good strategic vision
• Good, independent judgement and ability to think creatively
• Willingness to speak their mind, and to work constructively with others
Baxendale is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, gender, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. Candidate must be eligible to work in the UK.
Fees and expenses
Independent Trustees will be paid a competitive salary, with an expectation of 8-10 days required per annum. This salary will be paid monthly in equal instalments through PAYE, subject to standard deductions. The Company will reimburse all reasonable and properly documented expenses incurred in performing the duties of this office.
Please send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Monday 31st July 2017.
If you have any questions about the role or recruitment process, please contact employee trustees Gosia Wojcik or Robin Naudi on Gosia.email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to hearing from you