At Baxendale, our team’s focus is on meaningful and impactful work, and we believe how you do business is just as important as what you do.
We are employee owned. This means that everyone in our team is a co-owner in the business (we call ourselves Partners). This allows us to really own and control the work we do and the impact we make and take on projects which fit with our personal passions and priorities.
We are a certified B Corp, demonstrating our commitment to use business as a force for good. Our focus on impactful work and how we treat our people has resulted in being recognised as Best in the World for Workers for the third year running and as a Global Changemaker in 2019.
In 2019, the Financial Times selected us as one of the best consultancies advising on People and Performance. We believe the key to a positive culture is when everyone is comfortable voicing their opinion and everyone can deliver their work flexibly, in the way which best suits them and their individual needs.
Job opportunities will be posted on this page as they arise. In the meantime, if you are a management consultant or public sector specialist looking for your next challenge and think you’d be a great fit for the Baxendale team, we’d love to hear from you on email@example.com.
The Baxi Partnership Trust
The Baxi Partnership Trust was founded by Philip Baxendale in 1983 when the successful boiler manufacturing business was sold to the Trust for about one-tenth of its value, to be held for the benefit of its current and future employees (we call them Partners). In 2000, Baxi Partnership Limited (BPL) sold the operations of the original business and the nature of the Trust was changed so that the sale proceeds of the business became the Trust’s main assets and Philip intended these to be invested in the growth of a thriving group of businesses in employee ownership.
Employee ownership and partnership culture lie at the heart of the Trust which will always be the majority shareholder of BPL. Its governing documents specify that Trustees shall benefit current and future Partners by exercising its rights to secure the continuation forever of BPL as a successful and professionally managed trading enterprise with a partnership culture.
To us, partnership culture means:
• widespread share ownership amongst Partners;
• paying close attention to the interests of Partners;
• that Partners take responsibility for maximising their contribution to BPL to benefit current and future Partners;
• that Partners receive information concerning the major policies and actions of BPL; and
• giving Partners a meaningful say in the major policies of BPL.
BPL (www.baxipartnership.co.uk) has two subsidiaries:
• Baxendale Advisory (www.baxendale.co.uk), a management consultancy that helps its clients develop solutions to transform health and wellbeing outcomes. It works with integrated care systems across England and supports community healthcare, mental health, primary care and wellbeing and public health providers. Baxendale has helped clients win £2.8 billion in contracts and raise investment of over £50 million, alongside supporting significant transformation in evolving health systems across the country.
• Baxendale Employee Ownership (www.baxendale.co.uk) is a market leader in employee ownership, having supported more than 150 businesses to become employee owned and drive highly productive workforce cultures.
BPL continues to have funds available for investment, and it is the intention to use these funds for acquisition of a business or businesses which share our values, wish to be part of an employee-owned group and operates in the health and wellbeing sector.
We’re looking for an Independent Trustee
As an employee-owned company, the principal value of the business is held in Trust for the benefit of current and future employees. The Trust Board therefore has a critical role in supporting the overall success of the business, holding the Executive Board to account in the interests of current and future employees and being champions for excellent organisational governance.
The Trust Board currently consists of two Employee Trustees and one Independent Trustee, and enjoys a strong, collaborative and professional relationship with the Executive Board.
One of the Employee Trustees is intending to step down from the Trust Board and is to be replaced them by an additional Independent Trustee.
As an Independent Trustee you will be responsible for working with the other Trustees to:
• Uphold strong organisational governance;
• Constructively challenge and support the development of BPL’s strategy;
• Scrutinise and constructively challenge the performance of the Executive Board;
• Potentially participate as a member of the Remuneration Committee alongside the other Independent Trustee, signing off board objectives and reward;
• Solicit and represent the thoughts and views of employees – ensuring that their voice is effectively heard; and
• Exercise your responsibilities in accordance with the Baxi Trust Deed, relevant policies and procedures
The ideal candidate
The key attributes we are seeking are integrity and strength of character. However, we also consider essential the following:
• Experience of, or empathy with the principles of employee ownership
• Board-level leadership experience
• A track record of making effective decisions at senior levels within the private, public or voluntary sectors;
• Strong commercial acumen;
• Experience of monitoring and evaluating performance against strategy;
• Excellent communication, stakeholder engagement and interpersonal skills – the ability to command the respect of, and to challenge fellow Trustees and members of the Executive Board and
• An understanding of good governance and trustee fiduciary duties.
Experience in Baxendale’s key operating market – health, social care and wellbeing – is desirable but not essential.
Baxendale is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, gender, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. Candidate must be eligible to work in the UK.
Fees and expenses
Independent Trustees will be paid a fee of £12,000 plus reasonable expenses, with an expectation of c.10 days of work required per annum. Joining the Trust as an Independent Trustee will mean entering into a contract for services, not a contract of employment. Typically, we would expect a term to last 3 years.
Please send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31st October 5pm.
If you have any questions about the role or recruitment process, please contact one of the Employee Trustees – email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.